Friday, March 19, 2010

Dairy Free Protein Smoothie

I've been meaning to post this for awhile. I am off dairy indefinitely due to my little guy not being able to process the milk proteins and honestly, I don't really miss it, except when I am eating a cookie. (I still sneak a bit of cheese now and then...)

Most smoothie recipes call for milk or ice cream or yogurt of some sort to make the smoothie smooth. Since I can't have milk products, I was looking around for some dairy free recipes and really came up kind of short. So, I made my own.

Here is my super simple, really healthy, dairy-free, super delicious smoothie recipe:

(1) banana, sliced, (small to medium for 12oz, large banana for large serving)
1/2 c rice milk
3 tbs vegetable protein powder (soy)
6 frozen strawberries
1 tbl honey
2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour the rice milk into the blender, add the sliced banana and protein powder. Mix on high for about 30 seconds. Make sure all the protein powder is mixed in and not stuck to the side of the blender. Add strawberries through hole in lid one at a time, careful to watch for splashing! After strawberries are completely mixed in, add honey and vanilla. Whip for 30 seconds and serve!

Makes about one 12 oz smoothie. Feel free to double everything for a larger smoothie. The honey and vanilla really take this smoothie over the top on flavor. Enjoy with a reusable glass straw: http://www.glassdharma.com/straws.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

No hate, please. Encouragement is welcome.